Friday, August 5, 2011

Reaching an end of an era

(Picture taken back in February)

Tonight we reached another milestone. Katie went to bed without me nursing her. I knew it was coming because she has been loosing interest. The last week or so she hasn't wanted to nurse at night. AND, she has been biting me... alot! So, tonight she went to bed happily without me. Not sure how that can be possible, but it's true. My baby is changing every day. Wanting to become more like the big kids.

We are not officially done nursing, we still have our mornings together which she enjoys as do I, but I have the feeling it isn't going to last much longer.

I think God is being really gracious to me in the way that this is happening. I was feeling so sad that I was going to have to wean her anyway. Bill and I are planning to go out of the country on a vision trip in September and we won't be able to take the littles with us (that is a whole other post in and of itself). I knew I needed to start the process of weaning her but had really been dragging my feet about it. I feel better about the fact that she is naturally weaning herself. Then I won't feel so guilty, although I will still be a little sad about it.

I know there are many out there who will not understand my heart in wanting to nurse her for a long time. I just think that breastfeeding is such a beautiful thing and such a sweet time with my baby. I really am going to miss it.


But instead of dwelling on the sad side of this I will look for the positives and look to the days ahead with joy. We are moving ahead with life as we should. :) Getting out of this baby phase will be so strange as I have either been pregnant or nursing a baby for the last 10 years.  That's a LONG time! It has been good.

So I wonder what the days to come will be like? I wonder what freedom there will be in not having a baby nurse?  

I guess I'm about to find out...

1 comment:

Charlyn said...

I LOVED nursing too. It is precious. But eventually, you have to let go. Then again on that first day of kindergarten. Then college. Then on their wedding day. Seems as moms we are always letting go. The seasons of life. I am letting my 2nd born go off to college in a few short weeks. I sure do miss the days of diapers and piggy tails. But there is gain in letting go. You will gain some freedom. Your child will gain friendships, and then a husband. You will gain a new best friend. And one day you will gain a grandchild. :) There is pain in letting go, but there is also gain.

Babywearing